Monday, November 27, 2017

The “Off” Season

Thanksgiving is over, Black Friday took my money, and winter is fast approaching. The days are disturbingly dark at 5/5:30, and some nights leave me cuddled under my down comforter dreading the morning when I have to leave my warm bed. The Off Season is here.

Nom Nom Nom

Unfortunately Chimi’s Off Season started way to early and he’s been benched since October with the Abscess of Doom. Just when he was sound enough to ride some personal family crisises arose that I had to attend to (and lasted basically all of November.) So Chimi’s Off Season continued and I’ve ridden him once since the beginning of October. But thinking on it, all the time off has been a benefit to Chimi and I think he’ll come out of it for the better. Chimi isn’t that young, he’s not old either but he will be turning 15 in April and he’s a big horse (17hands of chunky cuteness).

Just look at his Chunky cuteness!!! 


Since I’ve owned Chimi he’s had a significant period of time off almost every year and came out of that time off even stronger and better than he was going into it. I think his warmblood brain needs the time to process all the info we worked on previously and his body has time to heal. He came to me with some health issues that I’ve been able to manage so far but I don’t think he would fair so well if he was on go 12 months out of the year. He has a chronic sore back that I’m able to manage with Back on Track saddle pads, squishy half pads, and a saddle that is fitted to him and checked 2x a year by a saddle fitter. He’s a hot mess but he’s my hot mess and I love him for all his quirks :)

Rocking the "Dad Bod"

Because Chimi lives at home I do still spend quality time with him… at least twice a day to be exact! He also lives outside 24/7 (unless there’s bad weather) so he’s kept himself in good condition with his random gallops around the field and having to walk up and down the hill in my front pasture. I’ve been trying to pack on the pounds since we’re going into winter with lots of hay/forage. So right now Chimi is sporting a lovely “Dad” bod (like Emma’s Charlie) and I’m ok with that.

Stop taking pictures lady... I'm trying to eat!!!

But the Off Season is about to end. I’ve look at the calendar and penciled in a few hopeful shows (let’s face it we’re talking about horses AND winter… both are very unpredictable) I'm not far from Aiken so I might try and start my spring season a bit earlier since we didn't have a fall one. My goals this year don't require a top 3 placing so even if I end up competing against all those professionals in Aiken I just need a completion and not a placing which is really helpful! Though I do love pretty ribbons.... even if Chimi doesn't hahaha.

I guess it's time to put down my fork and get to work.... ok. Fork down. It's go time!


10 comments:

  1. Excellent! Where are you planning on going? I have no idea what we're going to do after the first 2 weeks in December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at Sporting Days bc those dates just seemed to fit well with my plans :) and I normally don’t have these dates figured out but I had a lot of down time at work the Tues before Thanksgiving so I spent it looking at the omnibus 🧐🤫😁

      Delete
    2. The one in Feb? I've actually never been to Sporting Days before, have you?

      Delete
    3. I haven’t but my trainer in high school took a bunch of students but it was a weekend I couldn’t go. I looked up their website and it looks like a nice event. I’ll ask Trainer A bc she’s probably been and would have insight!

      Delete
  2. It's always good to be fluid but still make plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fluid is they key word!!! 😂 but it is nice to figure out what to do so you can have something to work towards… I do better that way!

      Delete
  3. Planning is the best part of the off season. I tend to take part of July and August off due to the heat and get ramped up in the winter, but this darkness is killing me with having the horses home and no arena or lights. I'm downt o weekend only rides now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are good months to take off!!! It can be rudely hot then. And I feel ya on the lack of arena and lights… I try to get home as quickly as possible after work but sometimes I don’t make it 😔

      Delete
  4. ha he really is such a handsome chunky munky tho ;) good luck with the winter plans! we always try to make a few fun ones too, but it's always such a crap shoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I hope to add in some of the hunter paces bc we have a really kick ass hunter pace series that takes you all over the area. It can’t all be work and no play!!!

      Delete