Tuesday, January 9, 2018

F you Crazy Cold Weather

What the hell SC??? This isn't normal!!!!


The past 9 days were just insane and I have new respect for you guys that live where 30°F is a warm winter day! I had enough of below freezing temps on day 3 and yet we had 6 more days of it! Barn chores took 2-3x as long as they normally do between breaking ice, carrying hot water from the house, changing blankets, cuddling with my horses for warmth (and b/c they're cute and cuddly), and making sure everyone was doing well and staying healthy. But we made it through this arctic air blast and being as far inland as this area is we missed the snowy bomb cyclone that caused the coastal area of the Carolina's to completely shut down. I really enjoyed seeing pictures of Charleston in the snow!

The good news is we survived and are here to enjoy some warm weather before the rain comes back on Thurs/Fri. Hopefully between work and the rain I'll be able to log in some fun rides with Chimi so we can really get the ball rolling and start moving forward in our riding. So enjoy theses pictures below from this past week plus of cold!!!


Armed and ready to feed... soaked hay cubes, soaked chia seeds (they absorb a lot of water!!) and a bucket of warm water for drinking... doing any and everything to make sure ponies were getting plenty of water in their system

Hummm...which bucket of hot water do I want to drink out of??

Marley didn't care- she just wanted all the water!!!!
It was always a relief seeing that they were breaking the ice to drink water inbetween the multiple times I was down at the barn breaking ice and adding hot water
Water? For Me? Yes Please and then go away b/c I will be eating my hay

Hay Buddies
Night Check selfie with Chimi....awkward....

10 comments:

  1. Getting cold just reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting cold being reminded of it!!! hahahahaha

      Delete
  2. It's currently 30F outside and I may not even ride in a coat tonight, I am so blissfully happy for it to be so warm. We had days and days below zero. Everything is harder when it's so bitterly cold! I'm glad you and your ponies came through ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But that's what you get for living in VT!!! :) Though to be honest I'd move to VT in a heartbeat if the winters weren't so cold... enjoy your non negative temps!!!!

      Delete
  3. it's 40 here today. downright balmy. this cold tho... wow it's been intense. chores and everything are so much harder in the cold (except for cleaning stalls - i love how satisfying and quick it can be to clean frozen stalls lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When did 40 become warm? hahaha but yeah... the non stop ness of the cold... that's what did me in... I don't mind a few days way below average but a week plus?? Misery.... but do agree on the frozen poop turds! Soooo much easier to clean!!!!

      Delete
  4. Ha! This was the only week I was grateful not to have my own farm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weeks like this, sick days, and vacations are the times that I'd be so much easier to board!!! But oh well :) Do enjoy having the ponies at home!!

      Delete
  5. It sucked! Thankfully our water spigots outside stayed thawed the entire time and the horses are hardy, yak like beasts. Yesterday was glorious at almost 60!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn’t yesterday glorious? It was such a welcomed relief before it gets cold again… and there’s nothing worse than getting a new place and finding out it leaks, has terrible plumbing etc and it’s in the middle of a snow storm/coldsnap/monsoon so I’m glad your spigots worked the entire time!!

      Delete